Official Language: Vietnamese
- 66% of Vietnam’s blindness is due to Cataract, a cloudiness of the lens which can usually be removed by a quick, inexpensive operation.
- In Vietnam, only 10 ophthalmologists are available for every one million people, with most practicing in large cities.
- Surgical complications now ranks fourth among causes of blindness in Vietnam, so ORBIS is helping to develop quality assurance systems and is providing further training to surgeons.
A Welcome Sight
The ORBIS Flying Eye Hospital has worked to strengthen eye care in Vietnam since 2006. On this visit it will:
- Provide free sight-saving treatment to approximately 150 patients in need
- Train 100 eye care professional including: nurses, local eye doctors and other health workers so they can provide better eye care services to their communities
- Increase public health education through media campaigns via radio, TV and print.
Watch this EyeReport from a previous visit to Vietnam.
ORBIS provides the tools, training and technology necessary in developing countries to make eye care available to all.
Give sight, give opportunity, give a donation to ORBIS' sight-saving work, now.